Preparing and Storing
Can you cook anything on a skillet?
Cast-iron heats and cooks your food evenly, you can use it in the oven or on the stove, and, if it’s properly seasoned, it works just as well (if not better) than a cheap, non-stick skillet. However, unlike any old cheap, non-stick skillet, cast-iron does require a bit more attention and care.
What is a skillet for food?
A flat-bottomed pan, most often round in shape, with shallow, flared sides that may be slightly curved. Skillets are made of various materials, such as copper, cast-iron and aluminum, some of which have a non-stick coating applied for ease of cleanup. … A skillet may also be referred to as a frying pan or an omelet pan.
What can you do with a skillet?
Cast-iron skillets can be used for sautéing, pan-frying, searing, baking, braising, broiling, roasting, and even more cooking techniques.
How do you season a skillet?
How To Season Your Cast-Iron Skillet:
- Scrub skillet well in hot soapy water.
- Dry thoroughly.
- Spread a thin layer of melted shortening or vegetable oil over the skillet.
- Place it upside down on a middle oven rack at 375°. (Place foil on a lower rack to catch drips.)
- Bake 1 hour; let cool in the oven.
What can I use if I don’t have a skillet?
Ovenproof Skillet Substitutes
- Cast-Iron Options. There are multiple cast-iron skillets out there, and nearly all of them can be used for substituting the ovenproof skillets. …
- Stainless Steel. Many people don’t use cast-iron skillets because of the expensive price factor. …
- Dutch Oven. …
- Saucepan. …
- Pyrex Casserole.
Can I use a frying pan instead of a skillet?
There’s no difference between frying pans and skillets! … Although the word “skillet” is most commonly used in reference to cast iron skillets, the same piece of cookware could also be called a cast iron frying pan. In other words, the two terms are interchangeable and refer to the same type of pan.
How long do you season a cast iron skillet?
Bake for 1 hour
Place the cookware in the oven upside down. Place a large baking sheet or aluminum foil on the bottom rack. Bake at 450-500 degrees F for one hour. Allow to cool.
Can you bake a cake in a cast iron skillet?
Cast-iron skillets hold and retain heat very well and allows for even baking no matter if it is a cake, cobbler, brownies, or even bread. You will find the center of your baked goods is baked evenly throughout. Many times you can use the cast-iron skillet to melt or saute ingredients first before adding more toppings.
Do you use oil or butter in a cast iron skillet?
Once your pan is pre-heated, add a little oil or fat. Then simply add your food! (Note: if you want to use butter, start with oil, and then add butter right before you add your food.)
Can you spray Pam on cast iron skillet?
Do not try to use nonstick sprays like Pam to season your cast iron skillet, as they contain other ingredients that aren’t good for your pan. … And goodbye to excess oil that gets sticky if stored too long on the pan.
What should you not do with cast iron?
What Not to Cook in a Cast-Iron Skillet
- Avoid Cooking Acidic Foods in Cast-Iron Pans. …
- Be Aware that a Cast-Iron Surface Takes on Flavors. …
- Don’t Cook Delicate Fish In Cast Iron. …
- Before Your Skillet Is Well-Seasoned, Avoid Sticky Foods. …
- And, Whatever You Cook, Avoid Storing Food in Your Cast-Iron Pan.